Conference Director, Austin Film Festival
$30,000/yearly salary + health, dental and 401(k) benefits
Austin Film Festival Mission: The Austin Film Festival furthers the art and craft of film making by inspiring and championing the work of screenwriters, filmmakers, and all artists who use the language of film to tell a story.
The Austin Film Festival is a not for profit 501c3 corporation.
Required: The Conference Director must have excellent written and communication skills, experience working in the film industry, and a strong knowledge of both the screenwriting and filmmaking industry.
The Conference Director’s primary role is to program the film festival’s Conference (which focuses on filmmaking, screenwriting & storytelling), advertise to both the general public and the established registrant base, help create the Festival’s Program Book, and assist in programming and scheduling additional year-round Austin Film Festival programs. The Conference Director will work with all departments in creating cohesive program for the entire Festival.
- Maintain the exceptional quality and excellent programming of the Conference – the panels, script readings, workshops, guests, and special events
- Program, manage and oversee the Conference (more than 90 panels in four days), including:
- Invite guest speakers
- Program creative and timely panels, roundtables & workshops that cater to first-time Conference visitors about to write their first script, professional filmmakers seeking an inspirational boost and networking opportunities, as well as general audiences of film lovers. Work closely with ED, Development, Screenplay and Film Departments to ensure synergistic programming.
- Maintain the excellence of the program, regardless of the strict budget limitations.
- Timely and effective written and verbal communication.
- Communicate with all incoming speakers about expectations and panel schedules
- Invite moderators
- Communicate with all moderators about expectations, moderator guidelines and schedules
- Invite honorees and their award presenters
- Facilitate hospitality coordinators for honorees and special guests, provide itineraries for parties involved
- Attend weekly staff meetings and marketing meetings w/ detailed weekly reports
- Collect and edit panelists photos, bios, addresses and all contact information; maintain Conference contact database
- Make sure website has current Conference information
- Contribute to the blog and social media with panelist interviews and relevant posts
- Coordinate honorees and panelists schedules, itineraries, travel arrangements and accommodations
- Oversee registration, gift baskets, Festival bags for all panelist and moderators
- Work with ED to secure all venues for Conference and oversee complete production of Conference including hotel BEOs, Conference signage, chairs and audio.
- Write panel, bio, schedule content for the Program Book
- Work with Marketing Director to create and execute marketing plan for the Conference, including outreach to past and potential new registrants, partner organizations, screenwriting and filmmaking groups, and schools & universities; and Call for Entries, Conference and other Festival brochures.
- Supervise interns and independent contractors
- Event planning for year-round programs including but not limited to: Conversations in Film, screenplay readings, Young Filmmakers Program and film screenings.
- Job will have significant time commitment in August, September and October
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited university required
- Some event planning experience
- Work off timeline and budget
- Requires some travel and frequent evening meetings
- Attending events both in and out of AFF
- Ability to prioritize and delegate in high stress situations
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Experience working with and communicating with a team
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Able to multi-task and switch between tasks quickly
- A proactive and entrepreneurial mindset
Please submit Resume, cover letter + writing sample, & list of references* by mail to:
Austin Film Festival
Phone: (512) 478-4795
Fax: (512) 478-6205
Or by email to email@example.com
*INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.