POSITION: Production Manager
DEPARTMENT: Film & Conference Department
June 1, 2014 – December 5, 2014
REPORTS TO: Executive Department
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH: Film Department, Conference Department, Executive Department, Volunteer Coordinator, Assistant Production Manager, and Technical Support
COMPENSATION: $6,000 contract
The Austin Film Festival furthers the art and craft of filmmaking by inspiring and championing the work of screenwriters, filmmakers, and all artists who use the language of film and television to tell a story.
While working for this critically recognized organization, applicants are expected to be able to work efficiently and professionally in a fast paced, team-oriented production environment. In such an environment, the ability to work well under pressure, excellent communication skills and intense organizational skills are a must.
OVERALL JOB DESCRIPTION:
To manage and coordinate all aspects of the film venue logistics and presentation including digital technology, projection, shipping, contacting filmmakers, and overseeing Front of the House theater operations. The Production Manager also assists the Film Department & Creative Director with venue contracts, invoices, and payments. Excellent communication skills are also a vital part of the job. In addition, the Production Manager works with the Film Department & Creative Director to assure the Film Program runs as smoothly and on time as possible. The Production Manager also produces Filmmaker Packets, communicates with filmmakers, handles filmmaker registration and provides any other necessary information to filmmakers.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES: The responsibilities of the Production Manger include but are not limited to:
- Managing the flow and organization of all incoming digital film files
- Updating Filmmaker Packet and sending to filmmakers upon a film’s acceptance
- Creating spreadsheets and tracking all filmmaker information, materials, and deliverables, including exhibition files
- Arranging and scheduling for an equipment Tech Check at each venue in Late September
- Tracking additional screeners, trailers, postcards, posters, production stills and filmmaker packet forms
- Contacting filmmakers when deadlines are approaching or have passed
- Responsible for collecting trailers/bumpers and placing in appropriate playlists
- Provide weekly reports to ED and Operations Manager, in addition to weekly timeline meetings
- Gathering a team of Quality Checkers to ensure films play properly and meet festival requirements. All films must be QC’d 3 times, once by a member of the film department.
- Keeping the Film Department and the Creative Director updated on the schedule and status of all digital transfers
- Coordinating venue needs and equipment such as necessary cables, parts and gear
- Coordinating shipping logistics for all films
- Generating, updating and maintaining shipping budget with Film Department, Creative Director & Executive Department
- Attending all Film Department and Staff meetings
- Overseeing training and communication to all theater managers, theater venue volunteers, film liaisons and projectionists (This done with the Assistant Production Manager).
- Being on call during screenings to troubleshoot any technical or staffing issues
- Serving as tech point person during the festival
- Overseeing Registration for filmmakers within Film Department
- Adhering to and completing a predetermined timeline
- Staying ahead of schedule and being preemptive with all deadlines
- Providing exemplary customer service
- Providing wrap up and completion materials including but not limited to all shipping invoices, archiving of the film program and an update of the Production Manager Bible
- Commitment to the AFF Mission Statement
- Must be familiar with the post production aspect of filmmaking (digital video and film)
- Extensive knowledge of shooting aspect ratios, presentation aspect ratios, color space, projectors, film revision and sound is a must
- Knowledge of both PCs/Mac and video and sound file formats specifics, and a basic understanding and working knowledge of Final Cut
- Extensive knowledge of MS Excel
- Knowledge of sound boards and sound equipment
- Must have a calm persona in high stress situations and the ability to multi-task
- Excellent time management, problem solving skills & patience
- Experience working with and communicating with a large team
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Extensive customer service experience
- Ability to prioritize and delegate in a fast paced environment
- Must be able to lift at least 25 lbs.
HOW TO CONTACT US:
Send your resume and references to:
Austin Film Festival
c/o Office Manager
Austin, TX 78702
E-mail your resume and references to email@example.com including the position title in the Subject line.
**All submissions must include references**