First Round of Conference Panels Announced
This year’s Conference panels delve into a wide variety of topics ideal for writers and filmmakers of all levels, while also providing an entertaining and intriguing look behind the curtain for the general public.
Here are just some of the fantastic panels we’re offering this October:
D.C. VS MARVEL!
For the first time since the limited edition, bestselling comic book we’re bringing D.C. Comics and Marvel together! The creative minds behind the films IRON MAN 3, THOR, THE AVENGERS, THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN, HULK, THE INCREDIBLE HULK, SUPERMAN RETURNS, ELEKTRA, THE GREEN LANTERN, X-MEN: THE LAST STAND, X2, X-MEN: FIRST CLASS and more will be under one roof at the Austin Film Festival this October. We’re planning a panel of spectacular proportions covering everything from writing for the D.C. and Marvel universes, rules the writers had to keep in mind about the characters and how they managed to infuse originality into these beloved and intricate stories.
CROWDFUNDING YOUR INDIE FILM
As our world gets more connected and technologically developed, filmmakers are finding numerous avenues and opportunities to get their projects off the ground. Learn from filmmakers how best to utilize crowdfunding platforms and get the money you need to make your project a reality.
Everyone loves a good spy movie, but writing a compelling mystery set in the world of espionage is easier said than done. Get tips from the screenwriters behind such hard-to-crack mystery thrillers as SAFE HOUSE, THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM, GOLDENEYE, L.A. CONFIDENTIAL, and others on how to craft a truly fun and effective spy mystery.
WRITING FOR VIDEO GAMES
With the crossover writers behind such game-changing videos as Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, FEAR: Extraction Point, FEAR: Perseus Mandate, Ragnarok, Harm’s Way, Pursuit Force, From Russia with Love, Bloodstone and GoldenEye Reloaded, we had to have a panel on writing for video games.
Hollywood is producing more and more reboots of classic tales and popular franchises, and while in some ways this can be advantageous for writers, since they have volumes of source material to draw from, it also presents another series of challenges. Join the conversations with screenwriters who have confronted these challenges when writing successful – or not so successful – reboots.
SPECIAL WRITERS ROOM ROUNDTABLE!
These roundtables are popular and famous in Hollywood for punching up the story and comedy of a script with a team of professional writers. For the first time ever, we’re going to have not one, but two of them at the Conference this year. They’re gonna go down fast, irreverent, funny, opinionated, harsh and illuminating. And you won’t want to miss a word.
ESSENTIALS FOR AN EFFECTIVE SCENE
For your script to be great, each scene must be essential and has to stand alone as a compelling piece of storytelling. Learn tips from the experts on how to make every scene you write effective. Remember, when you’re trying to get the studio to bet on you, your script’s not up against your cousin’s, it’s up against Brian Helgeland’s.
Terry Rossio will lead a new presentation on “the throw,” transitioning between scenes. When you get to shooting scenes, or work with a director, much thought goes into transitioning from one scene to another. Very practical, actual writing techniques will be discussed and accompanied by film clips demonstrating good – and bad – throws.
And just some of the newly confirmed 2012 panelists:
- Kent Alterman, Head of Original Programming and Production for Comedy Central
- Shane Black, writer/director IRON MAN 3, KISS KISS BANG BANG, writer THE LONG KISS GOODNIGHT, LETHAL WEAPON
- Michael Dougherty, writer SUPERMAN RETURNS, X2, TRICK ‘R TREAT
- Larry Doyle, writer I LOVE YOU, BETH COOPER, The Simpsons, Beavis and Butt-Head
- Paul Feig, director BRIDESMAIDS, The Office, Arrested Development, creator Freaks and Geeks, writer/director I AM DAVID
- Bruce Feirstein, writer GOLDENEYE, TOMORROW NEVER DIES, THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH
- Sacha Gervasi, director HITCHCOCK, writer/director MY DINNER WITH HERVE, ANVIL: THE STORY OF ANVIL, writer THE TERMINAL
- Michael Green, creator Kings, writer THE GREEN LANTERN, The River, Heroes, Smallville
- Rick Jaffa & Amanda Silver, writers/producers RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES, THE HAND THAT ROCKS THE CRADLE, writers THE RELIC
- Damon Lindelof, writer PROMETHEUS, Lost, writer/producer STAR TREK sequel
- Kari Lizer, creator/ep The New Adventures of Old Christine, writer/ep Will & Grace
- Matt Olmstead, writer/producer Chicago Fire, NYPD Blue, Prison Break, Breakout Kings
- Nancy Pimental, writer Shameless, South Park
- Bruce Joel Rubin, writer GHOST, THE TIME TRAVELER’S WIFE, THE LAST MIMZY, JACOB’S LADDER
- Elizabeth Sarnoff, writer/ep Lost, Alcatraz, Deadwood
- Paul Simms, writer The Flight of the Conchords, NewsRadio, The Larry Sanders Show, Late Night with David Letterman
- Juliet Snowden & Stiles White, writers THE POSSESSION, KNOWING, BOOGEYMAN
- Amy Talkington, writer VALLEY GIRL ‘12, PRIVATE BENJAMIN ‘12, writer/director NIGHT OF THE WHITE PANTS
- Rob Thomas, creator/writer Veronica Mars, Cupid, Party Down, writer Dawson’s Creek
- James Vanderbilt, writer ZODIAC, THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN, THE RUNDOWN
These exciting new additions join a stellar, already announced initial lineup of over 120 panelists. You can find the full list here.